Pink Sheets

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Too Much News

Things at work have been pretty slow lately so I've been reading a lot of news. Way too much. I think too much news can make a person crazy. I don't think I should know so much about the world. Actually, I haven't really been reading the world news, mostly just national, but I don't know if I need to know so much about other people. (Except bloggers of course.)

Like the other day I was reading about the boy who was ordered by the judge to have chemo. I was reading one article and when I finished reading that one I noticed they had updated the article with more information. By the time I finished that article the mom had an arrest warrant issued against her. It was just crazy! I was following this story minute by minute. I don't need to do that! What's wrong with me? And now I have an opinion on this story and I talk about it and I tell people details. It's just too much.

I won't go into my opinion on this matter here, because I think that can get obnoxious, but let's just say I don't think too highly of people who have raised a child for 13 years and he doesn't even know how to read. Learning disability or not a 13 year old should be able to read something.

The stories that are really bothering me are ones when children are involved. Obviously I have been following the chemo story, but there's also the little girl in CA that was killed by a Sunday school teacher, and two men sentenced to death, one for throwing 4 kids off a bridge and another for shooting up a family of four over a drug debt. I don't know why I read these articles. I have the hardest time getting them out of my head and yet, I still read them.

I don't really have anywhere to go with this, but I thought I would just get it off my mind. Though, when the prosecutor on the drug guy recommended the death penalty to the jury, the defendant through a half empty water bottle at him. I thought that was pretty funny.

I do try and put some fluff in there. I read about celebrities and most of the time I can't believe the things they say. My gosh, they have pretty tough lives, let me tell you. And I read about the baseball player who was called out because he missed the base. That was good. I thought only happened in little league.

Well, that's pretty much what I have. I can't wait for my three day weekend! Woo hoo! Have a great Memorial Day. I'll be hanging out in the mountains doing nothing!!!

3 Comments:

  • Hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend!

    By Blogger Karen, at 11:19 AM, May 25, 2009  

  • yeah, it's hard not to get sucked into the news sometimes. it's much like watching a train wreck b/c afterwards we can say . . . well, at least my life isn't that bad. like this jon and kate hoopla - they drive me nuts; i'm so sick of seeing them on air, in the tabloids, in the paper. just be gone already! i get way too involved w/ the news when it comes to politics and it just gives me unnecessary stress that i don't need. really, we're just one person, right? all we can control is what goes on in our homes and leave the rest to God. Hope you had a good holiday weekend. Sorry I haven't been by in a while.

    By Blogger Kate, at 5:33 AM, May 28, 2009  

  • I hope you had a good weekend!

    Whenever I read random news stuff like that, I have to remind myself that the media feed me what they want. Try NPR! The news is better, and it's about things that actually matter - our civil liberties, what's going on with the economy and the wars we are fighting, and actual journalistic analysis.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 5:48 AM, May 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home