Pink Sheets

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Make A Change

I took the day off work yesterday. For some reason, while I enjoy the day off and I was completely lazy and did nothing, it makes me anxious about what's going on at work. It totally sucks. I've been seriously looking for a new job. I know I was seriously looking last summer when everything at work was absolutely horrible, but I really wasn't seriously looking. I think when your in that kind of turmoil it isn't the time to find another job. Right now I'm just going to turn my resume in when I see something that looks interesting and go from there. I haven't really done that because I'm a big chicken and I think what if I get a new job and they aren't flexible. How will I get the kids to baseball practices and games? I just need to let go of those fears.

I read an article the other day. Yes! It was in O Magazine, don't judge me! That talked about people who asked for advice on a situation and then would argue with you about it when you gave your suggestions and how to deal with it, even if it's yourself. For instance a woman wanted to go back to school, but of course there are a million reasons why that wouldn't work with her life, but really what it comes down to is being scared. And I know this! I just have to get over the scary part and do it. Who cares if I'm rejected or don't get a job after an interview. It's a tough market right now and there's a lot of competition. I have a job. It pays me well. But it stresses me out. That's the part I don't like, but it's bearable. So, I'll find a job, apply and see what happens. That's not scary. And I don't even have to accept a job offer if I don't think it will fit with my life.

Now if I get an interview. That will be scary...

And Brian just won't let me quit and stay home. Hmph! Actually, I don't think I would particularly like that. The stay at home mom job might make me a little crazy. So, if I'm not happy I need to make changes. That's what it comes down to. Change it.

4 Comments:

  • If you have another job offer, you always have the option of turning it down after weighing the plus and minuses. But at least you would get a *feel* for what's out there.

    By Blogger Karen, at 1:20 PM, March 10, 2009  

  • Change is good.
    And looking for a job this way is way less intimidating - you have the freedom of turning down anything that isn't a good match.

    By Blogger Jay, at 2:10 PM, March 10, 2009  

  • Good luck! There is nothing wrong with O magazine, always have your options on jobs!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM, March 11, 2009  

  • For a minute there I thought I was reading about my daily work experience! I'm am right there with you - wanting so much more, partly feeling guilty for looking in an economy such as this, and then the fear that's accompanied with the "what if I DO get the job?" It only puts us in a stronger position, though, to have a current job and be offered another one. No, the grass isn't always greener on the other side . . . but I'm guessing it's not this dull either! lol Now I need to take your advice and get those resumes out there. Makes me wonder, at what point did I "give up" looking for something more? I wish you well with your search. I truly hope you find a job that is the right fit for you.

    By Blogger Kate, at 11:19 AM, March 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home