Pink Sheets

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Simple Life

As I was watching American Idol last night I came to a realization. It wasn't actually during the American Idol show, but rather during a commercial break. A Nextel commercial to be exact. One advertising a new, small phone with a million features available. I realized that Brian and I lead such a simple life. We have done away with little extras such as cell phones and satelite and internet. It is so weird. If we were to get cell phones, we would have no idea how to use them. It would be like a couple of 80 year olds trying to use the phones and getting frustrated with all the menus and screens. I can't even imagine trying to take a photo using the phone. I'm pretty sure it would end up a disaster. The most I could probably muster is text messaging and that's because they had that feature when Brian and I still had phones. In fact, we were pretty good at texting one another.

The funny thing is I don't miss any of those things. Especially the phone. I used to get so mad when people would call my phone. Why are these people calling me? Don't they realize I'm shopping or driving or eating out? If they want to talk to me they can call me at home. Hence, the reason I was willing to give up the cell phone. I threw a bit of a fit about the internet and satelite, but have since learned that those too have not been missed. Instead of flipping through 200 channels not being able to find anything to watch I only need to flip through 5. Most of the time spent on the internet was during the weekend. However, I have a paper to read and coffee to drink and a conversation to have with Brian on Saturday and Sunday mornings. And during the day I can hang out and watch a movie or play with baby or catch up on laundry.

I thought I would be so upset not to have the lastest phone or the fastest internet or not being able to discuss the hot new MTV show, but really those things aren't as important as I once thought they were. Brian is always telling me that we need to cut back on these nonessentials, make our lives simpler. Something about it being key to a happy life according to some philosopher or something like that. I always thought he was trying to dish me a bunch of crap. Blah, blah, blah. I guess he isn't. At least not about this. I'm still finding out if cutting back on my spending is going to make me happier. So far, no. Only time will tell.

5 Comments:

  • I have to admit it would be hard to do away with those things but you are right they are just things:-}

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 1:17 PM, April 19, 2006  

  • you can take everything but my Mac. And my phone. And my camera. And....

    By Blogger Beth, at 9:00 AM, April 20, 2006  

  • I don't girls and guy, I thought the same thing. We still have the digital camera though. That's our one electronic gadget that we actually upgraded. Hello, we have to take millions of pics of that baby.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 9:54 AM, April 20, 2006  

  • We are SOOOO opposite on this point. I need gadgets!! I totally love my new phone. :) The thing I especially love is that I can set separate ring tones for different people, so when my hubby calls it plays "Til There Was You." I love it just for that. :)

    By Blogger Monique, at 5:48 PM, April 20, 2006  

  • It's much easier keeping things simple, isn't it, Jolynn? I've not watched a lick of TV for over 6 months, & find that i don't miss it at all.

    The gadgets and gizmos are nice, but they can lead to more stress than what they ease.

    I'm learning more and more that what matters is the people around you. Taking time to enjoy them, just being with your family.

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 7:22 AM, April 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home