Pink Sheets

Monday, April 10, 2006

Mean Girls

Last Friday I wasted an hour chit chatting. Which is unusual because the people I might normally waste such time chit chatting with weren’t even here. I spent an hour talking my work day away with someone new. I know, it’s an amazing feat that I conversed with someone outside my little clique, but try not to be too impressed. She actually is in my little clique, but for some reason we just never clicked. Until Friday, when it was basically just the two of us and the other co-workers who we usually gossip about, except with other people. Get it.

I don’t know why we don’t talk more. She’s nice and from what I can tell pretty funny. She’s a little younger than me, but not so much that I find her annoying or immature. I think that we have that same personality problem. The one where we don’t make friends unless they make friends with us first. This is a problem I have had my entire life and what I describe as shy, but unfortunately can come across as snobby. Which I am not a snob. Okay, sometimes I am, but sometimes, to a certain degree, everyone is. I am a very nice person, at least I try to be and it may not sound that way because of the gossiping that I do at work, but I read an article that gossiping is good for office workers. And I honestly believe that it helps reduce my stress. And sometimes you just need to unload to someone who agrees with you whole heartedly. Otherwise, you might just unload on the person causing you the stress and believe me, that does not make for a cohesive work environment.

Speaking of snobs and me being such a nice person, reminds me of one of the girls that works at the video store I frequent. Most of the girls that have worked there a year or more are so nice and friendly when I come in. They help me find my movies, they remind me to come in on my birthday for my free movie when my birthday is approaching, they don’t ask me for my id anymore. They’re just nice. Except one of them. She is so mean. I do everything in power to be nice to her. I have everything ready for her when I reach the register, I don’t dawdle, even when I have three dawdling kids with me. I smile and I’m friendly and I’m the perfect customer.

Except one Sunday a couple of weeks ago. Brian had dropped off our movies that morning around 10 or 11. At around 2:30, I decided I would pick up some movies on my way home from grocery shopping. We’re on this program where we pay a monthly fee and we’re allowed to check out unlimited movies for the month, but we’re only allowed three at time. I figured since he dropped the movies off that morning that they should be checked in by now. I find my movies and go up to the register where one of the nice girls is working. I feel relieved because mean girl is behind the counter, but she doesn’t seem to be helping customers (what a surprise). One more person and it’s my turn. And then, mean girl looks up at the line, stops what she’s doing, and says she can help the next person. Which of course is me. Damn it! Oh well, at least I’ll be outta there quickly. Wrong!! I give her my DVD’s, as well as my phone number and then my ID. She scans the movies, and says that will be such and such a dollar amount. My heart sinks. The reason they are showing a balance due is because the other movies hadn’t been checked in yet. The movies that are in the outside video drop. Nooooo!!!!! I tell her with a huge smile and a sweet tone, that my other movies were returned, but I think they must have been returned outside. At which point she sighs heavily and takes the movie basket out to the drop box. I sit and sit and sit for what seems like hours, but it is probably only a few minutes. She finds my movies, checks them in, and sends me on my way all the while glaring and growling. It was horrible. What luck! If it had been any other girl it wouldn’t have been so bad, but it had to be the mean girl. Why me??

I don’t know why, but I just want this girl to like me. It’s like some kind of challenge now. I just don’t know what to do. I can’t help myself. And normally I’m not one of those people who are upset when someone doesn’t like them. I’m fine with people not liking me. It’s their frickin’ loss. But for some reason I am desperate to have this girl like me. Desperate!! I would try being mean to her back, because some mean people like other mean people, but I’m a little afraid of her as well. She could seriously kick my butt and I would rather not have that happen. What a quandary!

3 Comments:

  • I run into people like that to and I understand the "it's a challenge now" thing. It does make you wonder if some people are only happy being unhappy.

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 4:18 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • I agree - she gets paid to be nice. If that's too much to ask, she shouldn't be working with people.

    By Blogger Jay, at 9:57 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • Two things here, Jolynn.

    You're a *customer* at her place of employment. You're the source of her *paycheck*, hon. It's her duty and obligation to be polite & courteous to you. There's nothing you owe her except for courtesy in return (even if she *is* being an idiot).

    As for being upset & anxious for her to like you, 5-year rule applies.

    Master's demonstrated & taught me that if something won't matter in 5 years, it's not worth getting upset over *now*. That goes for people cutting you off in traffic, telemarketers, & rude, ingorant clerks at video stores.

    Blow it off, relax. Mention her to management if you like (i'm sure you're not the only person she's demonstrated poor customer service to). It's not your job to please or appease her. Go in, do what needs to be done, get out. Don't waste effort & worry over something you've got no control over, & ultimately doesn't affect you anyhow.

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 5:29 AM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home