Pink Sheets

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Office Birthdays

I had a dentist appointment yesterday. I know everyone dreads going to the dentist, but my only fear is that they tell me I have to come back for something such as a more vigourous cleaning or to have a cavitity filled. They didn't this time. I am very pleased with this. Everything looks good and my teeth are sparkly and clean. Also, this just goes to show you don't have to floss every day like they told me I needed to. I floss about twice a month, which I know I should be better, my teeth looked good, no problems. Apparently twice a month is okay. I do use mouth wash at least once a day, which I think helps a lot.

Okay, enough about my damn perfect teeth. Today is my friend's 50th birthday. Her department, which is kind of my department but not really, is big on torturing you on the milestone years, such as 50. These events are usually planned weeks in advance to make it especially good. However, everyone thought this was birthday number 49. Until yesterday when she came in telling us all about her surprise party her family threw for her on St Patrick's Day and showing us the mug they gave her. The mug with the number 50 boldly displayed. Uh, crap! Did anyone know it was Karen's 50th birthday? No. We didn't even realize. So last night people were running to the party supply store, Brian was sent on a errand to retrieve a dozen roses, people woke up early to grocery shop for bagels and juice. Everyone was rushing to put up silly signs and throw confetti all about her office. But, we pulled it off. All went well, we stood around chit chatting eating bagels and she isn't suspicious of our ignorance. Woo hoo!

I am now very afraid. One of the major pranksters already stopped by asking when my birthday was and how old I would be. Someone mentioned my birthday is in August and I'll be 30. I have never seen his face light up like that before. He was so excited. He says that's a really good birthday because you start realizing how old you really are and how it's all down hill from there. The bad thing is you can run but you can't hide from these people. Even if I took my birthday off or it fell on the weekend, they would still find a way to surprise me with a trashed office and lots of food. This is reason I love this job. The work sucks, but the people are so much fun.

8 Comments:

  • Wow that sounds like a great place to work. I dont think ANYONE knows when my birthday is at work.

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 9:11 AM, March 21, 2006  

  • Well, we are lucky enough to have a calendar go out each month with everybody's birthday listed. :)

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 9:49 AM, March 21, 2006  

  • 'He says that's a really good birthday because you start realizing how old you really are and how it's all down hill from there. '

    Um, excuse me? I'm not one to critique but this guy's *obviously* under 25. I'm 35 & people usually guestimate me at about 26 - 28. Not only that, i *feel* about 24 - 27.

    People occasionally ask how i do it, why i'm always so happy & relaxed. I just tell them it's the life i lead & leave it at that. Some women even comment that they'd like to have my type of man, the relationship i have with him. I always laugh at that. If only they knew. Then again, it'd probably be good for them.

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 12:46 PM, March 21, 2006  

  • Actually, he's about 51. They like to tease me. However, Brian does say things like that and he is younger than me. He's a meanie.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 1:58 PM, March 21, 2006  

  • 'Actually, he's about 51. They like to tease me.'

    Oops, my bad.

    'Brian does say things like that and he is younger than me. He's a meanie.'

    Having already stuck my foot in my mouth for the day, i'll take your word for it ;)

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 3:23 PM, March 21, 2006  

  • That's okay, you shouldn't feel bad. I mean Brian does tease me about being old. But, I'm with you, I don't feel old.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 3:30 PM, March 21, 2006  

  • Okay, 30 was hard for me. I thought I was gonna be all big shit about it, but you know what? I think 32 is gonna be harder.

    Wow, I'm such a damn ray of sunshine, aren't I?

    By Blogger Beth, at 6:54 PM, March 21, 2006  

  • Thanks Queen, so it just gets worse as you get older.Hmph!

    Anonymous, whenever someone threatens to take their b-day, everyone makes plans to do it another day. Then I'll never see it coming. At least this way I know. Nice to see you back by the way. :) I think I like the new anonymous.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:25 AM, March 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home