Pink Sheets

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

We Must Be Very, Very Careful

As I've mentioned before my kids go to Catholic school. This basically means that I have no idea what's going on half of the time. I don't know any of the saints or any of the rituals or why the heck they started crying when I served them meat for dinner one night last year when "they aren't suppose to be eating meat". The one thing I do know is they have mass on Friday's. They have to wear a certain uniform on mass days and one of the requirements for the boys is to wear a tie.

The beginning of the school year I start with 2 or 3 ties. By about this time, I have none. I usually harass their dad to throw a tie in the bag when I pick them up for my week, but last week I forgot. Sometimes I have him cheat. Yes, that's right, cheat. Don't judge me. They have school sweatshirts and I have him wear one when I forget the tie. That way they don't "catch" him without a tie. Well, I had a hoodie, which is not the same as the sweatshirt, and they aren't allowed to wear their hoodies on mass day. Crap. You'll just have to go without a tie. In my defense I left his dad a message telling him he needs to drop a tie off at school. He never got my message.

At the end of the day, while fixing dinner I ask Riley what happened at school in regards to the tie. He says, "oh, I was just about to get to that," and he begins digging in his bag and coat pockets.

"What?" I ask. "Did they send a note home?"

"Not exactly."

"What are you looking for? What did they give you? Were you the only kid in the entire school without a tie?"

"Just about," he answers, still digging around. "Well, I can't find it, but I got a notice. If I get three notices, I get detention. If I get another three notices I'll get another detention. If I get two detentions I'll get suspended and if I get suspended twice, I'll get expelled! So we need to be careful."

I thought it was so funny he said we. It's more like the mom needs to be careful. I made sure I had a tie when I dropped them off on Sunday. There will be no more notices.

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home