Pink Sheets

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lunch Date

I'm having lunch with my friend from high school this afternoon. I feel like I've known her forever, but it's only been since 9th grade. Which is becoming more and more like forever with each passing year. The last time I talked to her was about 2 years ago. I wasn't pregnant, I didn't have a baby. She didn't even know about Jillian until a month ago.

She is one of the friends I'm always in touch with. No matter how many years it's been we always seem to hook up with each other. There's never any animosity that one of us never calls the other, just one day one of us will email the other and say "hey". This is regardless of the condition we left things off. We could have not been talking because of some huge disagreement. We could have been extremely mad at each two years ago. Or at the very least annoyed, but it never matters. We pick up like we had been talking non-stop the entire couple of years.

Today we'll probably get completely caught up on each other's lives, gossip about our other friends from high school, ask each other if we're still in touch with so and so and what the hell are they doing and maybe end it with a little shopping. And then we might email every so often as we have been and maybe have a few more lunches or maybe even go out for a drink one night and after awhile we'll drift apart. And two or three years will go by and I'll wonder what the hell is Sarah up to? I'll email her and our friendship will be rekindled once again in probably the exact same way.

Is this healthy? I have no idea what a fucking healthy friendship is, these are the only types I have and to tell you the truth, I like them. I like that I have friends that no matter what will always be my friend, regardless of the time that passes by. Guys always talk about friendship in terms of "if you ever waking up with a dead hooker in your bed who would you call?". I would probably call Sarah. Who would inevitably get me in much more trouble than I was in before, at which point we would have to call Tiffany to help us out of the more trouble, who would most likely end up throwing her hands in the air telling us we're screwed. And we would be and somehow it would all work out and we could all look back at the entire incident and laugh about it over a beer, some kind of mixed drink, and a vodka and diet pepsi. Until we the next time.

I think the high school friendships have to be my favorite. They're always so much more shallow and, well, high school like, than my adult friendships. And as much as I did not like high school it's nice to think that not only did I survive, but I came out with a few friendships still intact and that seems silly to me in some way. Why are we still friends? It doesn't seem possible and yet, here I am, blowing drying my hair and dressing the baby to go have lunch.

7 Comments:

  • Jill was my first friend on the first day of highschool. She is not a talker. I will get emails like this:
    "Yarr!"
    that's it. :) I have known her since I was 12. We hadn't seen each other in about 5 years and she was in my wedding. I think we've had a handful of emails since then. But you know what? She's one of my dearest friends. I totally get where you're coming from with this friend and I think it's great.

    The best friends are those that you can be apart from for a long time and yet still act like you haven't ever stopped your conversation. Really. I have two friends like that. They mean the world to me.

    By Blogger cat, at 10:21 AM, February 18, 2006  

  • The best friend I ever had was from high school. He shot and killed himself a couple years ago god I miss him.

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 4:34 PM, February 18, 2006  

  • You guys are right. I had such a great time yesterday. It was so much fun to get caught up and see what people are doing.

    Truck driver: That is sad! Sorry to hear about that.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:23 AM, February 19, 2006  

  • so sad.

    By Blogger Gus, at 9:56 AM, February 19, 2006  

  • I've only lost one person that I can say was my friend from high school. In fact, Sarah and I brought him up at lunch. She used to date him. He was so mean, but, when it came down to it, he would always stick up for you. He was an odd one.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 6:11 AM, February 20, 2006  

  • I think the only person I still talk with from High SChool is a guy that use to sit behind me. He likes to call and dish the gossip. After gathering my info...he then calls the next person...adding my stuff! I really need to get to be the last one on his list!

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 4:57 PM, February 20, 2006  

  • Envoyette- that is hilarious. We don't really have any one that into the gossip luckily.

    Lass- 3rd grade seemed so long ago, isn't it crazy! I actually had a friend in high school that grew up in the same neighborhood as me, so we've known each other forever, but I haven't seen her for about 8 years now.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 10:29 AM, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home