Pink Sheets

Monday, March 27, 2006

Just Another Weekend

This weekend was pretty uneventful. Saturday morning we had brunch with my mom, sisters, and brother for my mom’s birthday. It was actually on St Patrick’s Day, but of course, not everyone was available that weekend so it had to wait. Actually everyone was available except my sister and her husband. They had some marriage seminar to go to all weekend. She’s weird. I know I shouldn’t judge someone based on how they’re life differs from mine, but when it comes to certain people I do. I can’t help it. I, living in sin, divorced, and having a baby out of wedlock, have to judge my sister who married someone she knew for exactly 2 months, bought an old run down house that needs serious, expensive work done to it, and got herself bogged down in an SUV she had no way of affording. And she’s my sister I have a right to judge. So there! I just think some of her choices are not smart choices and I think she’s making huge mistakes, but I guess that’s part of life. I also, completely put the blame on my parents, as I’m apt to do when anything in any of our lives goes wrong.

Anyway, we had brunch and Brian, the children, and I all survived unharmed. For the most part. I was able to hold my tongue most of the meal. I only made one or two snide remarks, which I feel guilty about. I think feeling guilty erases any obligation one might have to apologize. Right?

After brunch, we took the kids to rent movies and pick out treats to eat while watching the movies. They picked Scooby-Doo, Kicking & Screaming, and Flight Plan. Yay Darby! She picked Flight Plan. I had pretty low expectations for this movie, but I actually liked it. It was only 1.5 hours. That was the perfect length not to get bored with such a movie. It moved along and got to the point. There was no dilly dallying at the end.

What else? Riley had a birthday party to go to. He was so excited. I think it’s the first birthday party he’s attended that wasn’t a relative’s or someone in his dad’s neighborhood. He had so much fun, I’m glad he went. I dropped him off at the Nampa Rec Center at around 3 and would come back at 5 to pick him up. I was sort of dreading the wait to pick him back up. Nampa is not huge by any means, but the Rec Center is on the other side of town than where we live. I was wondering what I would do for the 1.5 hours before I had to leave to get him.

I didn’t have to wonder for long. I arrived home and was sitting down with Brian at the table making our dinner schedule for this week. He actually had everything planned out, I was just reviewing. Darby and Jordan were in the front room watching Scooby-Doo. Darby comes into the kitchen looking somewhat concerned and tells me there’s a bump under her arm. “Okay,” I say somewhat dismissively, “pull up your shirt and let’s have a look.” I’m writing down my grocery list when Brian says that she needs to lift her shirt and turn so that I can see this bump under her arm. He almost sounds alarmed. I look over and at first glance it looks like a really nasty mole. It’s oddly shaped and there’s a redness around it. Brian is thinking she has skin cancer and we’re going to have to rush her to the hospital.

However, upon closer inspection I realize that it is not a mole. Not even close. It’s something much, much worse. It’s a tick!! How gross is that? A tick. We have had the kids holed up in the house all week long and somehow, some way, Darby manages to have a tick attached to her. I’m totally freaked out. I have never had a tick, Brian has never had a tick, and as Darby pointed out, this is her first time. I called the doctor and Brian finally managed to get the disgusting creature unattached from my daughter, but it was horrifying. I have never seen anything so disgusting. It was so gross. We’re thinking she got the tick, that we now call Marcus, from her 4-wheeling trip with her dad. Ugh! Anyway, Brian glued the tick, after killing him with nail polish remover, to a 3x5 index card and I think Darby is going to take it to show and tell next week. So gross.

Other news, my little Jilly Bean was sick all weekend long. She was so sad with her dainty, little princess cough and her runny nose and watery eyes. She made the most pathetic noises. I just wanted to kiss her little chubby cheeks. Well, I want to do that anyway. She was so sad, but much better today.

Also Brian and I watched Lord of War with Nicholas Cage. It was really good and it had Jared Leto in it. Hello Jared Leto. I had forgotten how yummy he is.

5 Comments:

  • Let he who has no sin cast the first stone:-} Igot ya hey my sister is THE weirdest person I know!! I judge her all the time lol!! I know I have screwed up alot of times but liek you say she is my sister so there:-}

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 6:10 PM, March 27, 2006  

  • Aw, how sad when the little ones are sick!

    I hear you on the sister thing... I don't always get along with my sisters, but I love them anyway. Usually. :)

    By Blogger Monique, at 9:01 PM, March 28, 2006  

  • You know, you're the 2nd blog I've seen mention that movie. I'm gonna have to break down, I guess.

    Poor Jilly!

    By Blogger Beth, at 8:16 AM, March 29, 2006  

  • I love the idea of taking the tick to school for show and tell. The boys will LOVE it! As for the sister...I've got 3 of them and we always tease each other about our mistakes. I don't seem to remember the ones they accuse me of though. It must be my evil twin!!! Hope the baby feels better!

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 2:26 PM, March 29, 2006  

  • Well, Jillian is recovering well. She's almost back to her normal, unsnotty self, though I now have issues. Yuck!

    And Queen, how can two bloggers be wrong. Watch the movie!

    Isn't is funny how siblings interact with one another. I'm sure my sisters are as critical about me as I am of them. At least I hope so, then I wouldn't feel so bad.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:50 AM, March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home