Pink Sheets

Friday, March 04, 2005

Happily Un-Domesticated

This weekend Brian has to work, which leaves just Jordan and I for the weekend. It used to be that I had all the kids on the weekends Brian had to work. I don’t even remember when it changed. Of course, I wouldn’t remember because he hardly ever actually goes to Guard. He’s a big skipper. Regardless, I don’t have any big plans this weekend. The last time Brian had to work we went and had Jordan’s haircut and then looked at puppies. That’s when we found our precious Chloe. :)

This weekend, I’m afraid, will not be as fun. This weekend I need to clean the house. It really is kind of gross. I’ve been slacking lately. Seriously, not just this week but for months and months. I don’t know what has happened to me. I used to insist on cleaning the house every week. Not just go through and straighten things up, but really clean. Every night the dishes were put in the dishwasher before bed and after every load of laundry came out of the dryer the clothes were put away. Right now it’s been at least two weeks since the kitchen had a good cleaning and I don’t even know when I last mopped. The downstairs bathroom is really gross. Even the kids’ rooms are cluttered with toys that have been out since last time they were here. And I hate to admit this, but, I have a pile of laundry sitting on the chair.

So what has changed? Why do I go to bed with dishes left in the sink? That used to drive me insane! Why do I allow the clutter in the kitchen and front room? I don’t know. The only thing I can think of is that I have been concentrating on other, more important things. Rather than obsessing whether the house is perfectly clean I hang out with Brian and we watch movies or a TV show or go shopping. Sometimes we just go to bed early. When the kids are there I’m spending my time helping with homework, getting baths ready, and reading Harry Potter. When I’m by myself, I take advantage of the alone time. I have come to the conclusion that when you’re happy you don’t obsess about anything. When you’re happy, you don’t look for ways to stress out and you don’t freak out over things like dishes in the sink. I’m not saying that I don’t have break downs. I do. They just surface less often than they used to.

4 Comments:

  • what is this thing called "mopping" that you are talking about? it is foreign to me. *grin*

    and i agree about the when you're happy you don't obsess about things thought. my place is a mess too. but i am so blissfully happy and busy. but i used to be such a neat freak. but now? we live in a messy cluttered place. heck, our laundry isn't even in a chair! we just keep all the clean stuff in the dryer and fish around from there to get dressed in the morning. Ha!

    By Blogger cat, at 11:54 AM, March 04, 2005  

  • I am so happy you agree. Especially about the mopping. Yuck! I hate cleaning floors. Luckily Brian is obsessed with vacuuming, so I never have to vacuum.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 12:54 PM, March 04, 2005  

  • I too have my moments, the ones where i scour the house to glistening point and those when i just run round and do a quick clean tidy....in about 15 minutes. there is more to life than cleaning.

    it's nice to kick back thought with that satisfied smile and a glass of vino in your hand knowing its all done and the weekend is free. incidently i just did my ironing..... and tomorrow i have to gut the house. my parents are coming for a holiday! ( i have to be ultra tidy when they come so i can put my sister to shame! shes a right messy cow!)

    By Blogger Lou Lou, at 6:13 AM, March 05, 2005  

  • Lou Lou, that's awesome. I love how you described your sister.Only because mine is the same way. And yes, when I'm having company over I try to make the place spotless.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 6:28 AM, March 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home