Pink Sheets

Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Perfect Relationship?

Last night, I finally convinced myself to watch the movie The Stepford Wives. I have wanted to see it, but thought it would just be too stupid. I didn't want to waste my time. I decided to rent it, mainly because there was nothing else to rent. It's not as horrible as I thought. Seriously. I wasn't completely disappointed. It's not Oscar material, but it's entertaining. There are laughable moments and the whole concept is actually realistic, in an inflated way.

The movie is based on a town that has believed to have achieved perfection. They have the perfect homes, the perfect cars, the perfect children, the perfect husbands, and the perfect wives. Everyone is happy. But only after the women have been programmed to be perfect and happy.

Apparently, the men who move to Stepford have very successful, very smart, and very dominating wives. This makes them unhappy and they have found a way to change this. They turn their wives into robots. The perfect wife whose focus is solely on her husband. She has no independent thoughts, she has no ambitions except to look pretty, keep a clean house, and cater to her husband's every whim. In theory, I suppose this sounds like every man's dream. But, would a man really be satisfied with a woman who never disagreed with him? A woman who is subserviant and passive? I don't believe so. (At least not an educated man. And I know there are the abusive types, but that's a whole different issue.)

At the end of the movie, it turns out that a woman was behind the activities in Stepford. A woman who was once very successful with a wonderful career. This woman came home one night to find her husband cheating on her. She thought it was because she had been neglecting him by focusing on her career. So, she decided to create "perfect women" so that things like this wouldn't happen. (Sorry if I ruined the movie for anyone. *eye roll*)

It seems to me she just went to the other extreme. I mean seriously. If you did everything the person you were with demanded you to do and agreed with them on every little issue wouldn't they soon tire of you? Wouldn't that cause them to want to find something different and more exciting? If you bend to their every need isn't that almost as bad as neglecting their needs? It has to be. I'm not saying to be obstinate, I'm just saying it seems that if you don't have your own opinions and you can't stand your ground, that they will seek out someone who does. I don't think anyone really wants to be with someone who is a sissy. I know I don't.

Luckily, I'm not. No, Brian is anything but subservient and he definitely has his own opinions about everything. Which can be frustrating at times, but when it comes down to it I enjoy his company and would never trade him in for a different model.

Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe men do want someone to baby them. Pick out their clothes, serve up their dinner, cut their steak into bite size pieces. Hmm, I hope not.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home