Pink Sheets

Friday, November 20, 2009

On Wednesday we lost our little friend Lucy. It was so sad. Everyone was crying. She was the best guinea pig. She was cute and sweet and wouldn't hurt anyone. Ever. She loved lettuce but not carrots and she wouldn't eat the green pellets out of her food. Once she was finished with the stuff she liked, she would dump the bowl. She was quirky and curious and I really liked her. And she would greet us with whistles when we walked into the room or when she was hungry.

But for a few days she just sort of sat in a corner and she didn't eat or drink and Wednesday morning I told Jillian she didn't sound very good and Wednesday evening when we came home she was gone. The kids didn't see her. Luckily we came home first and I found her and Brian put her in a shoe box, but when they realized she wasn't there and would never be again there were a lot of tears.

Jillian called Darby who is at her dad's this week and told her all about it and how sad it was and how much she loved Lucy and Lucy was their friend, which made Darby start crying. When I took the phone and talked to Darby I could hear Riley in the back ground yell "Oh my gosh Darby it's going to be okay". He's so insensitive.

Yesterday I couldn't help myself. I had to go look at guinea pigs. I didn't plan to get a new one, I just wanted to begin my search for the perfect new pet for us. The first store I went to didn't have any guinea pigs, just bunnies. The second store I went to had both bunnies and guinea pigs and they were all placed together in the same cages. I found a very cute, very young piggy with the same hair color as Lucy, but it was the crazy hair instead of the smooth hair. I picked her up and she was squirmy and she nibbled my fingers and I didn't really like it. I tried to pet a few of the others but they just ran away.

When I realized the pigs at this store weren't what I was looking for I started to notice the bunnies. The very cute, very little, very mellow bunnies. One of the bunnies was even grooming the baby guinea pig and it was so cute and when I picked one up it just snuggled up to me and let me hold her. The one I was drawn to was small and gray and her ears stood straight up.

I went back to work and told Brian that a bunny might be a good option. They were really cute. He had wanted me to take the kids to a store near our house and I said it would be a good idea to stop by on our way home to see if they even had anything worth looking at before I brought the kids.

They had one bunny. A Holland Lop, is what she is called. She is black and fluffy and her ears lop down. She is very small and at first I just didn't know. I asked the sales people some questions about bunnies and decided I needed to hold her. And that was it. I love her. She's never going to get very big, she can be potty trained to go in a litter box, and Lucy's old cage is the perfect size for her. And she doesn't run when you try and pet her. Her name is Ruby and she moved in yesterday. I feel bad it was so soon. I hadn't even cleaned out Lucy's cage yet and it made me sad to throw out her bed that she loved so much, but I love this bunny. She is going to be a good addition.

Brian said when I was holding the bunny my face lit up like it was Christmas morning. And he sarcastically added that he had actually never seen my face so happy on any of our Christmas mornings together. Whatever, so not true. I'm pretty sure my face is that happy when I get those little blue boxes in my stockings. So there.

4 Comments:

  • Glad everything had a happy ending. But, I do feel a little uneasy about pet stores since I'm a member of the Humane Society and they're always sending me emails to boycott pet stores because the pets come from "mills"...i.e. puppy, kitty, any pet.

    Hope you don't mind me being so bold as to suggest maybe cute bunny should be looked over by your most trusted vet. :o)

    By Blogger Karen, at 9:54 AM, November 20, 2009  

  • I actually went to one of our local stores. It's like a farm store that has been in our community for around 75 years or something. I didn't go to the Petco or Pet Smart and I did try the humane societies first too... I don't want to buy a pet that comes from people who don't care either. so you can be bold. I'll put up with it. :)

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 11:43 AM, November 20, 2009  

  • Thx Jolynn! YOU ROCK!! :o)

    By Blogger Karen, at 12:44 PM, November 20, 2009  

  • Sorry about your guinea pig! I still have a traumatic memory of junior high Biology class, when my teacher got two guinea pigs, and one killed the other. I'll have to blog about it sometime, as the details are still too traumatic for me to think about right now.

    I'm glad Lucy met a more quiet and peaceful end, and I hope your kids are dealing with it ok.

    I used to have a pet bunny!! They are the best. I say go for it! But little blue boxes are pretty nice as well :o)

    By Blogger teahouse, at 5:26 AM, November 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home