Pink Sheets

Monday, June 29, 2009

Just a Bunch of Stuff

So that Madoff guy was sentenced yesterday. What a total scumbag. Does it really get any worse than this guy? I don't know. Maybe it's because it was on such a huge scale. But when I think about it, so many people had this mind set of what they deserved to have and they should get it regardless of their circumstances. Even in my neighborhood. We saw at least three people move out in the middle of the night. Who are these people that leave in the middle of the night? Normal people do not move in the dark. They just abandoned these houses that they probably shouldn't have bought in the first place.

I started thinking about this because we met our new neighbor the other day and he told us how when he moved in he had to replace the most obscure items, like the toilet paper rolls. Who takes toilet paper rolls when they leave??? I hate this sense of entitlement.

Before all of this economic crap happened I admit that I thought I had to have things. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately) Brian put me on this pretty tight budget. Like pretty much every penny was accounted for in some way. So, if I want a new pair of shoes I would have to save for them. Which I thought was outrageous because here are these people around me who can buy shoes whenever they want. Lots and lots of shoes. And they can shop every day and they are online buying clothes and I just thought it sucked. I work, I make an okay living why am I saving for a fricking pair of shoes?!

As it turns out it wasn't real. All that money they were spending on shoes and clothes and stuff wasn't real. It was credit. And I had cash. And now I'm going to admit something I probably shouldn't because I don't want Brian to have an "I told you so" attitude but I'm glad I was on a cash only budget. Because right now, if something awful happened like one of us losing our job we won't be homeless. We won't be losing stuff that really wasn't ours to begin with. We just lose a paycheck. Which would be awful and it would be difficult to get by for awhile but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

That's what I've been thinking about lately. And also, the fact that my kids were so busy this weekend and I hardly saw them at all which really sucks because Riley and Darby are going to be at their dad's for two weeks in a row so that I can have them two weeks in a row so that I can have a vacation this summer. With the whole entire family instead of just bits and pieces of us. So, I had to sacrifice them and it's going to be a little more difficult next week. I told Brian that Darby still emails me everyday but Riley never emails me anymore. Maybe he'll just get bored and call me. Sometimes he'll call because he needs me to do something for him. Which is fine. At least he called.

Oh well. This weekend is going to be fun. We're going up to the mountains and we go to this 4th of July parade every year up there. It's so much fun. I don't know why exactly because it's basically just the fire trucks and some old cars going down the main street of this little town but it's a blast. I can't explain it exactly.

Jordan is so busy this summer. After we come back from 4th of July at the cabin he's going with his grandparents to Missouri. It will literally be the same day we get back. Then, when he gets home from Missouri we are packing up our stuff and heading back up to the mountains for our week of vacation. He's going to be exhausted, but Brian says that's what summer is all about. So, it's officially summer now. And it is hot!

Oh and I ordered three disks of Supernatural from Netflix to take to with us. I don't know if I mentioned this, but Jillian loves this show Supernatural. More specifically, she "loves Sam". Yes, she is in love with one of the boys on the show. She talks about Sam all the time and is worried about Sam when he is attacked by demons. It's so cute.

Okay, I rambled on enough I suppose. Have a great 4th of July! Oh and Thursday I'm having a martini. Can't wait.

1 Comments:

  • I have tried explaining to my older nephew about people living off credit and way above their means when he has a friend that gets all new PS3 stuff and is constantly upgrading. It doesn't work and that is a big part of what happened to this country. Too many living high on credit.

    Have a great time this 4th! Enjoy!

    By Blogger Deana, at 6:01 AM, July 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home