Pink Sheets

Monday, March 19, 2007

Why Are Babies Naughty?

Jillian was a terror yesterday. She refused to take her second nap, so I endured several hours of fussiness and clinginess all with the hope that she would go to bed without incident. I was wrong. She cried and cried and cried before heading up to bed about an hour late. It was awful. Relieved she was in bed I relaxed on the couch with Brian and we watched an episode of Deadwood. Then off to bed for us. I was sleeping soundly and happily when I was so rudely interrupted by a baby screaming.

WTF!!! I hate waking up in the middle of the night. Hate it! It turns me into bad Mommy. My normal Mommy self is usually sweet and loving to Jillian. Probably too sweet. For example, I might say to her as she throws herself to the floor in a fit, "Jillian you silly baby. Why are you on the floor? You are so cute. Please stop hitting your head. Poor little thing." And then I pick her up and give her tons of kisses. And she stops throwing her fit.

But bad Mommy is different. When bad Mommy is disturbed out of a sound sleep her conversation with Jillian is much different. "You are a naughty baby. It is bed time. Mommy needs to sleep. You are doing this on purpose." And then I put her into bed and let her cry. And cry. And cry. And being that she is Brian's child she doesn't quit crying. Because she is stubborn. And I honestly believed she was doing it out of spite because I put her to bed when she didn't want to go. Which might be partly true.

Brian got up and gave her a bottle while I lay in bed pouting. And then I felt guilty that the bad Mom had appeared and I got up, went downstairs, filled her bottle with a little milk, warmed it up in the microwave, which she likes, and changed her diaper before I sat down with her while she ate. And then she went to bed with out a fuss. And when I went in this morning, she was sitting in her crib, with a cute baby smile on her face, ready to start her day. As if she just had the best nights sleep of her life.

5 Comments:

  • Nobody is nice in the middle of the night. Nobody. All things considered, I think you're pretty good. The last person who interrupted my sleep didn't live to tell about it.

    By Blogger Jay, at 10:33 AM, March 19, 2007  

  • my baby has cribdar. Last night for instance He was fast asleep on the couch, i put him in the crib and BLINK! AWAKE! Oh man...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:36 AM, March 21, 2007  

  • there's a difference between bad mommy and tired mommy. i'd say you were tired mommy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM, March 23, 2007  

  • I've been that mommy too. I wouldn't get too upset. Even the best of us have our moments. Mommies AND babies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 AM, March 26, 2007  

  • Oh yes... there have been many nights of bad mommy/good mommy.

    I could never understand how Bubba could go through an awful night of up every 2 hours, crying and SCREAMING ...then look at me the next morning like... "Man I got some great sleep, you?"

    AHHH! Talk about maddening! :)

    By Blogger and rudeness, at 10:11 AM, March 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home