Pink Sheets

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

President's Day

I had a day off yesterday. It would be more exciting if the company just gave me the day off out of the kindness of their hearts, but I had to use a vacation day. Because the kids all get President's Day off. And Jillian had a doctor appointment anyway, so it all worked out.

Jillian is doing well. She's right where she should be as far as development goes. I was worried because she doesn't talk. She grunts and babbles and every so often she'll say words, but not consistently. It was the "not consistently" part that had me worried. Why isn't she talking? Why won't she use her damn words??? It was driving me crazy. When I tell her to say 'bye-bye' I expect her to say 'bye-bye'. Apparently the fact that she doesn't perform for me at my every whim doesn't mean she's developmentally challenged. Whatever.

Another worry I had, one that I didn't bring up with the doctor, was that when she babbles it's as if she's yelling at us. She'll be pointing at something, showing us a picture of a puppy, for example and she's pointing and yelling as loud as she can. Why in the world is she yelling? Brian says it's because I yell so much. Which I didn't think was the case. I'll admit I do yell, but not all the time! And then, yesterday, on my day off with all the kids, it occurred to me why this sweet little baby yelled out about everything. Because even when the kids are talking normally, in every day conversation, they are talking AS LOUDLY AS POSSIBLE. It can be about anything. It's not like they yell just when they're upset with each other.

"JORDAN! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO ON THIS GAME!"

"RILEY THE FUNNIEST THING HAPPENED WHILE I WAS AT SCHOOL..."

"DARBY! WHERE DID YOU PUT MY BASEBALL GAME!!! WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS LOSING MY STUFF?" Uh, okay that wasn't very nice, but you get my point. They're all loud talkers. And now my baby is a loud talker. It's so upsetting! And so loud.

Other than that realization I had a good day. It was the kind of day that makes me want to be a stay at home mom. A productive, good day, where every one gets along and the house is clean and there's always something to do. I quickly shake it out of my head, however. Because I know I don't really want to be a stay at home mom. And not because I think there's anything wrong with it. I've said this before, it's just not something I can personally do. Because after my projects run out or I get sick of doing projects, I personally, would get lazy. I would get lazy and have wine for lunch and probably want to start smoking again. It just isn't my thing. However, I'm pretty sure I would make a great part-time stay at home mom. I'm thinking working outside the home Tuesday through Wednesday would be pretty ideal. But, I don't forsee that happening anytime soon. That's just the day we had yesterday. One that makes me believe I could do something like that.

6 Comments:

  • i'm not sure how old i was when i started talking, but one of my blog pals has just done the six weird things tag and she didnt say a single word until she was two

    By Blogger serendipity, at 1:00 PM, February 20, 2007  

  • You know, I worried the same thing about Bubba. She didnt talk for the longest time.

    Of course now I cant get her to be quiet. :)

    I am glad that Jillian's appt was fine!

    By Blogger and rudeness, at 2:31 PM, February 20, 2007  

  • Lots of times the youngest in a family doesn't start talking to later, and then is loud, precisely because they are the youngest, and the older kids do so much of the talking already.

    By Blogger Jay, at 9:40 PM, February 20, 2007  

  • I think you are all correct. She's little and everyone does everything she could possibly want. She doesn't have to speak. And when she does. It better be loud, if she's going to be heard!

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 9:28 AM, February 21, 2007  

  • I have a cousin who didn't talk (consistently, anyway) till he was three, but now he's a college professor (of English, ironically enough). Jillian will be talking/asking to borrow the car soon enough!

    And I agreee that being a part-time stay-at-home mom would be SWEET. Even (especially?) for those of us who don't have kids...

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 2:05 PM, February 21, 2007  

  • not to worry, jolynn. before you know it you won't be able to get her to be quiet. :+)

    By Blogger Karen, at 9:23 AM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home