Pink Sheets

Sunday, January 28, 2007

WeanHer

So, I'm suppose to start getting Jillian off the bottle. Brian actually wanted her weaned by her first birthday. I was very anxious to have that first birthday approaching. I hadn't even started to get her drinking from a sippy cup. I just didn't think she was ready. And maybe I wasn't all that ready. Luckily for both of us the doctor said that 18 months was the ideal age to have her go exclusively to a sippy cup. I think we both let out a huge sigh of relief.

Except now, she's 14-almost 15 months and I still haven't insisted she use her cup. I tried not giving her a bottle on Saturday morning. Brian fed her oatmeal and I sat down with her and gave her some milk from her cup. That seemed to satisfy for her for a few minutes. But then she started getting clingy and whiny and grabbing her bottle blanket and trying to get me to go to the fridge for milk. And eventually I caved. Not because I felt bad for her, but damn that whining and clinginess gets annoying. So, I instantly transformed into one of those Nanny 911 parents I make fun of and put down for letting their children control their lives. I caved to the whining because it's so much easier. And actually, she was really good for the rest of the day. As long as she had her bottle on time. We'll see how well it goes. Ugh! I hate these little milestones.

8 Comments:

  • Ahhh the joys of being a parent!! Hang in there I swear it wont damage her for life if she uses her bottle for a few more months than is "normal" I mean when it comes to children is ANYTHING normal??

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 6:20 AM, January 30, 2007  

  • I remember those days. It's a funny thing about that whining ... you hate to hear it and cave in, but eventually you'll have to hear it anyway. There won't likely be some magical day when she says "Ok, I don't want that bottle anymore" in her cute little baby talk.

    For me, I had to endure the whining repeatedly, because I repeatedly gave in. But with another child, I didn't give in and the whining was amazingly short. Within two days, they didn't want a bottle anymore. It was worth it to me ...

    But truckdriver's right ... she likely won't be damaged, and what is normal?

    Chelle

    By Blogger Chelle / Chel, at 10:25 AM, January 30, 2007  

  • It's simple... let Jillian decide. :+)

    By Blogger Karen, at 12:04 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • you'll know when its right

    By Blogger serendipity, at 1:53 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • ps, you've been tagged

    By Blogger serendipity, at 2:15 PM, January 30, 2007  

  • Well, at least you can make fun of yourself. That makes the difference: cute instead of annoying.

    By Blogger Jay, at 2:10 AM, January 31, 2007  

  • Instead of a sippy cup, see if she will drink the milk out of a glass with a straw. It's the sucking she is misisng. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 11:00 AM, January 31, 2007  

  • Hmmm, This is a tough one for me. My Bubba has only been on a sippy cup for about 6 months... since she was 24 months.

    I let her get there when she was ready. I felt like since I breastfed her for so long (until she was 15 months) maybe that was why she wanted the bottle longer?

    It will happen sooner or later!

    By Blogger and rudeness, at 10:07 AM, February 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home