Pink Sheets

Monday, March 08, 2010

Food Changes

We have made a change in our house. With the food we buy. I watched the movie Food Inc. and I decided we were changing the way we buy our groceries. Because for some reason the stories struck a chord and I can't continue to ignore it.

First I decided to start using up every thing I already have in the fridge and pantry. I still have a few items left to use up, but for the most part we went through all the frozen meat and the unhealthy snacks in about a week, maybe two.

Next, I needed a place to buy meat. Either local or organic. I decided to go local. Which means making a trip out a few miles to a farm in Kuna, ID. Vogel Farms , where their animals are grass fed and they roam in the fields, not penned up in a dirty disgusting area where they can't even move. I see them when I drive up. Just hanging out in the field. Eating. They're always eating.

The only problem with buying local is that they don't have many chickens. I would prefer to eat chicken over beef and pork, but since we aren't going vegetarian I take what I can get. However, I will be serving at least one meatless meal a week. At least I'll try.

As for every thing else I am going to local farmer's markets and stands to buy our fruit and veggies and try and pick up items that are grown locally. There are a few exceptions, such as bananas and avocados, which I have to buy organic.

And shopping this way is not cheap. But that just means I need to cut down on the junk food and extra things that we don't actually need. My shopping cart has not been as full the past couple of weeks and it's kind of hard to figure out what is good and what isn't, but I think it just takes practice. And if I keep it up it will be easy to figure out what I want to buy. I think the kids probably hate the things I bring home for them to snack on, but they'll get used to it. And it's not like they don't get special treats every now and then.

And I just read this article. Which is another good reason to eat differently.

6 Comments:

  • Have you read "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. I actually haven't yet, but it's in the same vein, and it's written by the awesome and wonderful Barbara Kingsolver.

    I believe there are recipes in the book too, but if not, there are some on the website by the same name.

    By Blogger patri, at 8:49 AM, March 09, 2010  

  • I also have some great vegetarian cookbooks if you would like me to send you some recipes. or if you would like a couple cookbook recommendations. I'm going to stop comment-bombing your blog now and go back to work.

    By Blogger patri, at 8:50 AM, March 09, 2010  

  • That would be great. What are the cookbook names? And I will check out that book. I received another recommendation about Food Rules I think the name was. I have a lot of reading to do.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:06 AM, March 10, 2010  

  • I promise I'm going to get you the names of those cookbooks. I have sketchy internets at home right now and I keep forgetting to write them down and bring them to the work.

    By Blogger patri, at 7:08 AM, March 16, 2010  

  • The veggie cookbooks i like: The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook, published by Whitecap Books. And the Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and Vegetarian Cooking by Roz Denny and Christine Ingram.

    Also, Moosewood Restaurants makes great cookbooks of their tasty veggie fare.

    in honor of all this, i'm having leg of lamb tonight. not vegetarian in the slightest. oh my :)

    By Blogger patri, at 7:15 PM, March 16, 2010  

  • I also recently saw Food, Inc. and it really did change my life as well.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 7:18 PM, March 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home