Pink Sheets

Monday, October 09, 2006

I’m back from my three day weekend alive and well. (The three days was because the kids were out of school last week, I don’t get Columbus Day off, though I definitely believe I should.) It actually turned out great. I didn’t have a lot planned but I felt like I accomplished a lot of little clean up projects I’ve been meaning to get to. And, of course, I was able to watch Oprah, which is always a treat.

The show was “Moms Who Can’t Say No”. And I now feel relieved. Because I am not that mom, nor is Brian that parent, and our kids are not spoiled brats. I may have some slight issues with spoiling the baby, but I try to be firm with her when it comes to telling her no and sticking with it. I try. But at times I’m definitely inclined to give in to her little gap-tooth smile that I simply adore.

And our kids are nothing like the kids they had on the show. They rarely “expect” presents for no reason or treats when we go places or to be rewarded when they’re being good. They’re good because they know if they aren’t there are consequences.

Watching this episode made me realize just how much we’ve been doing it right. The kids on the show would throw tantrums and call their parents horrible names when they didn’t get their way. When our kids ask about something and we tell them no, their exact response is “okay”. No arguments, no crying. Just “okay”. They may try again later or in a different manner, but they never get upset. Except the baby who tends to scream at the top of her lungs when you try and pry something out of her hands or tell her no. But she is only 11 months old. She too will learn. I hope.

Our kids are so appreciative. When we do special things for them or get them treats, they say “it’s the best day of our lives”. They thank us and tell us how excited they are. One Saturday I took them to McDonald’s for breakfast, to Jordan’s school’s yard sale, to play laser tag and to lunch. They thought the day was perfect. They said they had never had so much fun. Of course, they were trying to figure out why I was being so nice. They finally concluded it must be “because they haven’t made any friends yet”. Whatever!

Just this weekend we rented them three movies to watch as a family and two video games for them to conquer over the long weekend. Once again, it was the best day of their lives when they saw what we had brought home.

I just hope they always stay this sweet.

5 Comments:

  • Doesn't it feel great to discover you're a great parent?

    I do get Columbus Day off from work and usually look forward to it, because my husband doesn't and my daughter has school. So my son goes to daycare and I get a "me" day at this time every year. Except this year. Our son had his tonsils removed today, poor little guy.

    By Blogger Monique, at 8:53 PM, October 09, 2006  

  • Its sooo cool when you see you are doing the parent thing right!

    By Blogger truckdriver_sefl, at 6:30 AM, October 10, 2006  

  • You are doing what is right, it doesnt take money, just time. Good job. The best thing you can spend on your kid is time. It is memories that they will remember. not the things we buy them.

    By Blogger always kris, at 1:55 PM, October 10, 2006  

  • Kids are not accidentally sweet - you're making them that way. Appreciation is all the difference.

    By Blogger Jay, at 10:55 AM, October 11, 2006  

  • I forget how wonderful my boys are until one of their freinds come over. "omg..you do that at your home?" Good job on being a parent. You're kids will thank you even after childhood.

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 10:29 AM, October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home