Pink Sheets

Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm Not That Young

Seriously, I'm almost 30. There was a time, long ago, that number was middle age. Middle age! Thirty! Three-zero. Scary. Seven and a half months and I will be 30. And I still won't have my boobs because Brian has this plan to pay off all of our debt in like three years or something. Um this isn't where I was going with this.

The other day I was forwarded an email by someone at my work. You know, one of those emails that office workers forward one another. I don't have the email anymore but it was some list about being married by Red Skeleton. Above the list the sender of the email asked if I even knew who Red Skeleton was.

Hmm. No, Red Skeleton doesn't sound familiar to me. "Who is he?" I replied.

I was informed that he use to have a TV show awhile back.

Still don't know who he's talking about. I need more info. "Was the show on cable?" I innocently asked. Because if it was on cable I probably wouldn't remember. I mean there's a million cable channels these days. I don't know even half the shows that air on cable.

The response I received was somewhat confusing. "Funny! I'm not that much older than you."

"Um, I'm not sure what your talking about. Was it on cable or not?!"

Then I found out why he thought my question was humorous. "No, it was on before there was cable."

"What?" I wrote back. "You think I could remember a TV show that aired before cable? How long ago was that? How old was I? Four?"

He said I was hurting his feelings and I apologized but come on! Before cable. That's hilarous. I do remember when people in my neighborhood started subscribing to cable, but I can't even remember the year. I guess I was at least 6. Before cable!

11 Comments:

  • Hey, that isn't that much older! Do you remember a time without cable? Do you?! :)

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 11:41 AM, January 23, 2006  

  • wasn't there always cable??

    By Blogger cat, at 12:11 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I can remember a time when we had to listen to cassettes! Oh the horror and growing up I can even remember an 8 track cassette tape player in our car! Arghhhhh!!!!! I am SO old...at 36!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I'm with Cat about this one. I just can't remember there not being cable. However, I do remember cassette tapes and even worse! I had records. Actual records. The only one I remember is Bon Jovi, but I had several.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 1:23 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I remember when the remote control to the tv was just a little box with a lever that clicked from side to move the channel up or down....that was it, no mute, no volume...just the channels.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I can do one better. I remember when TV's didn't have remotes. They had that dial that didn't go past channel 10 or something like that.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2:08 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I remember, briefly, 8-TRACKS PEOPLE!

    By Blogger Beth, at 2:55 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • I sort of remember 8 tracks, but my parents never had an 8 track player, my friends did. You just have a damn good memory. Or did you have an 8 track player.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 3:27 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • The very best thing about turning 30 is, the next day, you can finally stop worrying about turning 30. I also hoped to have a nobel prize, a pulitzer, and - above all - boobs (I'm a AA). I chickened out of one boob job; it's all much more invasive than it seems. But I've reached a zen with being flat-chested and non-famous and over 30. Well, not exactly. But I did buy a "Zen" aromatherapy candle the other day, so maybe that counts.

    And I STILL don't have cable ...

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 7:18 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • Oh my God! I don't even have any goals I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30! I am such a damn slacker. Maybe I should just buy a candle too. Crap!

    PS I don't have cable anymore, either. We didn't watch it enough to be worth it.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:53 AM, January 24, 2006  

  • I remember when we got cable...
    And I remember my mom's 8-tracks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 PM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home