Pink Sheets

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Warning: This Post is Materialistic

But I don't care. I feel I deserve a materialistic post. I've been griping about my horrible work environment so today, I get a completely skin deep post. I'm playing the "pity me I have horrible co-workers" card. So there. I've been accused of playing the "kid" card by one of those horrible co-workers as a matter of fact. I would equate that to "feel sorry for me I have to raise four kids". I don't play that card. No one should pity me, they should be jealous because, while it's not my full time gig, it has some pretty great perks. No pity needed in that area.


So here it goes. I was called out by Brian on my trying to keep up with the Jones' remarks. I just mentioned that other people, whoever these "other" people may be, spend a ton more money on back to school than we do. He asked who these "other" people are and I just said you know other people. And he said that a lot of other people have mounds of credit card debt, they have sleepless nights wondering how they're going to pay their bills, they're on the verge of losing their house, or they make a lot more money than we do. You have to make sacrifices. (I don't think the making more money thing fits into the sacrifice comment, it was mainly the losing the house and sleep part.)

My point is or was or whatever that sometimes I just want to buy them their clothes all at once like other people do. I have a monthly budget to buy them clothes, but it's just not the same as going into Limited Too with Darby and stocking up. Like the other little girls are. We're standing in line with her $7.99 clearance t-shirt while the other moms have piles and piles of clothes and aren't even thinking twice about sliding that credit or debit card through. It makes me feel sad.

But, I don't have sleepless nights about money. I don't really worry about money. I'm not really responsible for any money except my spending money so I suppose it could be worse, but splurging is a nice treat. And sometimes I just want to splurge. Which is the exact reason I get none of the household money responsibility.

Along these same lines, I may have a problem with the 2 1/2 year old. She loves money. She finds money in our room or on the counter and it brightens her whole day. And last night she was at the store and started pushing buttons on the ATM machine. I told we had to leave and she told me "I was just trying to get my $100". I have no idea where she gets this but it was so weird.

The other girl told me that she was going to sell the tattoos I gave her for $.25 at school. We'll see if she makes any money. Those boys do not care a thing about money. They care more about the stuff money will buy them. The actually aren't to be trusted with money. I know how they feel...

4 Comments:

  • Splurging isn't bad..as long as it's not an everyday thing!

    I know how you feel though...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM, August 27, 2008  

  • I don't think you're being materialistic at all. It's normal to want to have nice things.

    But like you said, a lot of people in this country have lots of nice things but are neck-high in debt. Better to have fewer "things" but live within your means.

    But I'm as guilty as the next person when it comes to stuff like nice clothes, manicures and frappuccinos! Always have to try to control myself (not always successfully).

    By Blogger teahouse, at 6:36 PM, August 27, 2008  

  • We don't buy clothes for our kids all at once either. And a LOT of their clothes come from Target. Stores like Limited Too are a rare treat. I can't justify spending the money on clothes that they don't really take care of.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:37 AM, August 30, 2008  

  • I'm lucky, the younger boy gets the older boys shirts and shorts. We only splurged on a backpack and their shoes. I'm not buying long pants until it gets cold out, cause they will grow AGAIN! (I don't handle the money either, but I should!)

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 2:09 PM, September 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home