Pink Sheets

Friday, September 07, 2007

I Just Wanted To Go Home

On any normal day I don't hate commuting to work. I'm serious. I don't find it frustrating, like Brian does, and most of the time I don't mind the horrible drivers. Okay, that's a lie. I've been known to seek vengeance on those jerks that pass me and cut me off or zig in and out of traffic. I can't help it. Stop being an ass! Anyway, normally I don't mind commuting, except when they close down the freeway. Which rarely happens. Even when there's a bad accident. They might close a lane, but usually they don't divert traffic on to city streets. And last night they did. And it was awful.

We were driving along like any other day when traffic came to a stop. Whatever, that's not all that unusual. Until we hear on the radio there was a suicide attempt a couple of miles ahead and the freeway was closed. Noooooo! What the heck? I originally thought that someone jumped off an over pass. As Brian pointed out, that would be horrible. He also gave the gory reasons why it would be horrible. I'll leave those to your imagination.

That's not exactly what happened. Apparently someone robbed a bank, a car chase ensued, they crashed and then shot themselves in the head. On the freeway. In 5:00 traffic. Now, I see how someone who has robbed a bank and is about to be arrested might feel a bit trapped, but seriously, if you can shoot your self in the head you are probably able to get out of the car and run. Don't punish innocent people. I know. I'm being insensitive. But seriously.

We were diverted off the freeway about, I don't know how many miles, 10 miles? From our exit to go home. We stopped and made some phone calls to get the kids situated and picked up and made sure everyone knew it was going to be a long time until we arrived home. Then we started on the back roads. It was so weird to see those huge trucks on those roads. There was one right after the other. Four or five in a row. Of course, that makes for a long line of cars on 4 lane roads. So, we stopped and had dinner. It still took us forever to get home, but we made it and the kids were all alive and well. We survived! Unfortunately, the suicide attempt was successful. And commuting still isn't all that bad. As long as that doesn't happen again!

5 Comments:

  • Deliciously insensitive, I'd say! Awesome!

    By Blogger Jay, at 11:24 PM, September 09, 2007  

  • Aren't you glad that doesn't happen on a daily basis!!

    Main thing is you did make it home safe and sound, thank goodness. But I'm curious why you stopped to make phone calls... no cell phone?

    By Blogger Karen, at 2:03 PM, September 10, 2007  

  • If I had bags of money next to me in a car...I sure wouldn't kill myself.

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 2:15 PM, September 10, 2007  

  • Karen, we don't have cell phones. I think Brian was right on the verge on buying one the second he stepped out of the car, but he changed his mind once we were home. I think he really enjoys the fact that we're last the people with out cell phones.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 9:11 AM, September 11, 2007  

  • I can see his point, Jolynn, about cell phones... you are *tethered* to the world. But I do like the security in case the car breaks down.

    Had that adventure one time, middle of winter with wind chill factor of 25 below zero and found myself hitch-hiking. Guess that's why I'm tethered. {grin}

    What we did is get rid of our landline phones and just use our cells. It does keep our cost down that way.

    By Blogger Karen, at 4:42 PM, September 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home