Pink Sheets

Thursday, August 16, 2007

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

There are several reasons that I'm not in charge of paying the bills. The most important one being that I wouldn't manage the process very well. Sure they would be paid, but there are so many other things that can be done with money besides paying bills. Anyway, here is another reason why I "can't be trusted" as Brian might say.

I pay all my medical and dental bills on my own because I have an account set up for just that purpose. Usually I pay everything in full, but one came up I decided to make payments on. It's almost the end of the year and I didn't want to run out of money. So, I made the proper arrangements with the office to send in $20 a month. They said they would send me an agreement to sign and send in with the first payment. Sounds easy enough. I receive the paper, sign it, fill out my credit card information to send in my $20, stuff the envelope and realize I need a stamp. Easy enough. There's a stamp machine at my work.

I take my nicely stuffed envelope to work to buy a stamp and stick it in my desk drawer. Were it sits until the end of the week. Sigh. It's Friday night, I have all my belongings together to go home. I don't want to go get a stamp. Oh well, I could just take it with me and buy a stamp at the store and put it in the mail at home. Then I thought to myself, "like that's going to happen", and left the bill at work where it will surely get stamped and mailed and not neglected.

The next week I had vacation. When I finally arrive to work on the next Monday, I know I really need to get this thing mailed. Of course, not that Monday. I was much too busy. That evening I received a notice that my payment was late. What is wrong with me? Tuesday I'm determined to get this thing mailed. When I go to work-out I take the exact amount of change needed to buy a stamp. 40 cents. Okay, it's actually $.41 and the stupid machine won't return my money so I can go find another penny. Argh!!! I leave it thinking some lucky stamp purchaser is going to receive almost a free stamp on me.

I go into the locker room and this must be my lucky day because sitting on the counter is a penny. I run out and purchase my stamp and stick it on my envelope. It was finally ready. I even mailed it right after working out that's how good I am.

That evening I threw out my past due notice. A little while later Brian asked me, "where is that letter telling you that $20 payment is past due?" I told him I threw it away because I mailed it. He just gave me one of those 'I can't believe you' looks and rolled his eyes and we went on with our evening.

5 Comments:

  • Too cute.
    I've totally been there.

    By Blogger Jay, at 12:17 AM, August 17, 2007  

  • Me too. Proactiv for the oldest boy almost turned me over to a collection agency! What's really sad, I was carrying the envelope in my purse from Texas to Virginia & back to the Midwest! No stamp though..or I would have mailed it....
    So hey, you're in GREAT COMPANY! LOL!

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 8:47 AM, August 17, 2007  

  • You sound like me....

    If the bills were left up to me to get paid, I wouldn't have electricity to even turn on my computer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM, August 17, 2007  

  • Amen sista!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM, August 20, 2007  

  • Jolynn, I'm *so* glad that you do that. Now I know that I'm not the only one that pulls that stunt!!

    Thank you for that,

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 5:11 PM, September 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home