Pink Sheets

Monday, August 07, 2006

"It's Getting Hot in Here. So Take Off All Your Clothes"

Brian took me to a concert last night. No! Not Nelly. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. It was hot and I literally felt like stripping off my clothes. However, I was 100% sober, so luckily for the other concert goers I did not.

The concert was spectacular. I can’t even describe it. I do know I have told Brian probably hundreds of times that the Tim and Faith concert I went to about six years ago was the best concert I have ever been to in my life. It was even better this time. Faith was good six years ago. She is amazing now. Simply amazing. She is also the prettiest person I have ever seen in real life. Brian of course agrees, but the funny thing is he mentioned that she is prettier in person. And it’s true. Isn’t it hard to imagine that Faith Hill could be anymore gorgeous than she is on screen? I know, but it’s absolutely true. She is beautiful in person. And Tim is just hot. He came out on stage for the first song and chills ran up and down my spine. Yummy.

It was an awesome birthday present. Brian pulled his usual “your not really going to get anything this year for your birthday. We’re on a tight budget and you are getting a new house,” routine. I never fall for it at first. I wave him off. Whatever, I don’t believe you. Then after a couple of weeks of hearing it I start to get angry. “What do you mean I don’t get anything for my birthday? This is my 30th birthday, jerk! I better get something! You can give me the credit card and I’ll get my own present then!” (Of course, it varies slightly each year and it also happens on holidays.) And yes, I sound like a spoiled brat. I don’t care. I want gifts, damn it! And it’s mean.

On Thursday evening, the night before my birthday, my birthday eve if you will, he tells me I should open my gifts. (By the way he told me the kids bought me a card. I said the card better have something in it. He said it didn’t.) He presents me with a pretty pink gift bag, with cute girly pictures (by girly I mean shoes and whatnot. Pervs!) and a very big and very fake diamond on the front. “Nice bag,” I tell him. He nods. I open my card from the kids because it’s little and looks very similar to a gift card. It is! I knew the card would have something in it. Next I open my card from Brian, which is very sweet and makes me very happy. I then open the gift bag. Inside was the sixth season of The West Wing. I have the previous seasons and get a new one each year. This is nice. Thanks sweetie! Nothing else is in the bag.

I am thinking to myself that it’s possible there’s more. I’m not going to throw a tantrum. This is a nice gift and if he takes me to dinner and a movie this weekend it’s perfectly acceptable. He tells me we should watch an episode. “Really? Why? Dinner is going to be ready in about 2 minutes. You want me to put in an episode?” He tells me yes. I take the shrink wrap of the boxed set and slowly open it. Inside were my tickets to Tim and Faith. Woohoo! This is way better than just the season 6. This is perfect!!! I was very pleased.

My entire 30th birthday experience was actually pretty great, making me forget for about 4 days that 30 is old. (I say 4 days because I still don’t feel old today. I expect I might tomorrow.)

On Friday I came into work to find my cube completely trashed with birthday décor and Barbie balloons and horrible pictures of myself with captions such as “I’m 30 & I’m Flirty”. My friends took me to lunch and made me my favorite treats, brownies and lemon bars. (Brian can be thanked for the horrible pictures and the treats too!) We went out for a few drinks after work where I tried some shot, I forget the name somethig having to do with a cake, a cosmo martini (I finally had my martini and it was good), and a beer. We drove over (Brian drove) to get Jillian where I had a couple more birthday beers and headed home. We started to watch a movie, but when we got home I had another beer and pretty much was done for the night. The next day I went shopping with my mom and spent the money on my gift card. And Sunday was the concert. Everything was perfect.

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like a lot of fun, Jolynn. Brian's an absolute gem for arranging things the way he did. But then, you know that without being told.

    & 30's not old!!! 40's closer to 30 for me at this stage & i'm still mistaken for being in my 20's. It's not the #, it's your attitude & health that makes you old.

    shayla

    By Blogger shayla, at 7:58 AM, August 08, 2006  

  • love Tim and Faith, lucky you!

    and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    By Blogger Karen, at 6:13 AM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home