Pink Sheets

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Birthday Wishes

Well, it's my birthday week. So far I have not received gifts, but I went to a movie and dinner. Which weren't exactly for my birthday but Brian seems to think they should count towards birthday activities.

Um, I'm not so sure I agree. The movie we saw? Monster House. Sure it was cute and funny and slightly creepy but we also shared our popcorn with two little kids. And it was Monster House. Maybe if it were Pirates or The Lake House or Superman it would pass for the birthday movie, but it was Monster House. However, I am told that possibly we will go to see Pirates on Sunday. Possibly. If everything works out.

The dinner we attended was a lot of fun and delicious. However, it was a dinner provided by Brian's department at work. We went to the race track and had prime rib, salmon and chicken cordon bleu. I bet on horses with cute names and lost and we drank as much as we wanted. It was a perfect dinner. But, it was for work. And work is work no matter how fun it might be. You can't count it as a birthday dinner. You just can't!

Now, earlier in July I made my birthday wish. I wished for a community gift. A gift that will be shared by the entire family, including the dog. And it seems that I am going to get my wish, which is so exciting and stressful all at the same time. Someone (Serendipity!) tried to guess my wish: a baby. No! No more babies for me. I love my baby, but she is certainly enough to go along with the other three. My wish was that we would sell our house and get the house we have been drooling over since we put our house up for sale. And so far, barring any kinks in the closing process, my wish is coming true. We are moving in about three weeks. Into a house twice the size of our current house (which is pretty small and remember, there are six of us. And a dog.) And it is in a great neighborhood, in a great location (for us) and it is beautiful. And big. And I know size isn't suppose to matter, but I really love the size of the house. And I have turned into this person who is impressed by kitchens. The kitchen is perfect and big and has more cupboards than I'll be able to fill and the pantry has an electrical outlet. Actually that's weird and we have no idea what we're going to plug in, but it's there. And it has the granite counters and hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances which means we have to buy a stainless steel refigerator to match.

And I could ramble on and on about it's greatness, but I'm a little embarrassed by the entire thing. I never imagined we would be moving this soon. I think we had this five year plan or something Brian had put together. And when we did decide we wanted to move I did not imagine us getting into this type of house. I imagined something bigger than our house now, but more subtle, I suppose. I had no idea we would be able to live in the house we have chosen.

The thought of inviting people over is exciting but I feel a little weird. Like I shouldn't show people. Like I will invite people in and feel like I should make excuses for it being so large and having so many rooms. "Well, we do have four kids and a dog." But I shouldn't feel like that. I should feel happy and proud. Which I do, but it's still a bit overwhelming. I also have a feeling I'll get over that. Especially since Brian is insisting that we keep the six year old Chrysler that is nothing too fancy, to park out front. Blah.

And I know that there are people that live in bigger, more expensive houses, but I never actually let myself imagine we would be able to get this one. And now that it's reality, it's very fricking exciting. And I'm happy about it. And so I share with you my happiness and giddiness and try not to sound pretentious or ungrateful.

5 Comments:

  • Thats fantastic!!

    The stressful bit is the packing and finding homes for everything and discovering what slobs the previous people were!

    But WOW!! Congratulations!!

    By Blogger serendipity, at 10:49 AM, August 02, 2006  

  • Thanks guys! And I am so not looking forward to packing and unpacking, which probably accounts for my not having packed anything yet. And I have only three weeks! Ugh!

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2:18 PM, August 02, 2006  

  • That's so wonderful! It's always inspiring to hear stories like that. Congratulations! And having a big kitchen sounds like a dream. When I think of all the things I could not-cook in a big kitchen ... & room to put that big pink mixer in someday!

    By Blogger Marguerite, at 10:15 AM, August 03, 2006  

  • Happy Birthday from one Pink Sheets blog to another. In my case, the "pink sheets" are an old set of stock market listings originally published on pink paper.

    By Blogger Bruce, at 6:26 PM, August 03, 2006  

  • YES! Congratulations! Don't worry about the size of the house...it won't seem THAT big when you fill it with love & laughter! (and 4 kids & a dog!) You'll wonder how you managed without it! I want pictures! I am envious of your granite counters! Oooo...this is soooo exciting!

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 7:56 AM, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home