Pink Sheets

Thursday, June 30, 2005

More Baby Stuff--Sorry!

I wanted a girl. I admit it. I so wanted a little girl. When the ultra sound tech (is that what they’re called?) announced that it was a girl I was ecstatic. Don’t get me wrong. If it wouldn’t have been a girl, and the words “it looks like a little boy” had been spoken instead, I would have been fine with it. I like little boys. They’re cute and sweet and funny. I just thought we needed a girl. And around November 21st we will have our little girl, who will balance out our family perfectly.

I’m not sure how anxious she was to reveal herself. At first she had her feet strategically placed so that you couldn’t see anything. Then the tech started wiggling my belly around, trying to get the baby to reposition. She wouldn’t budge. Then Brian reached over and started poking my belly and telling the baby to move. That’s when she started kicking her little legs and finally moved so we could have a look. It was so cute. It was like she knew who was poking at her.

I already love this baby. This is different for me. I love Riley and Darby now, and I loved them when they were born, but I finally know the feeling of loving a baby pre-birth. I always thought those women claiming love for their belly, so it seemed, were out of their mind. How do they know? How could they love someone they never met? But now I think I understand this a little bit better. I can not wait to have this baby. I am so excited to see her.

We had a name picked out-Ashley. I’m not sure I want to use that name anymore. I am completely open to suggestions so if anyone has a fabulously adorable name for a little girl they don’t plan on using, please leave me a comment. Some other names I like are Ainsley and Kennedy. Any opinions?

For the last couple of months Riley and Darby have been referring to the baby as “Mommy’s baby”. For instance, they begin sentences with, “When Mommy has her baby…”, which seemed upsetting to Brian. He now tells them to refer to the baby as “Brian’s baby”. Darby obliges, however I have yet to hear Riley use the term. We haven’t had any problems with Jordan because he believes the baby is “everyone’s baby”, no one has a direct claim to her.

Darby insists that she will be the one who helps me with the baby. She’s going to feed the baby, change the diapers, and help dress her. This upsets Jordan, “what do I get to do?” he asks her. Darby just shrugs her shoulders. He then offers to hold the baby and Darby chuckles, “oh Jordan, a baby can’t hold a baby. You’re too little to hold the baby. Only Riley and I are old enough.” You must keep in mind the Darby is a whopping 6 months older than Jordan. I explain to her that by the time the baby is born Jordan is going to be the same age as Darby. I don’t think this pleases her, but she concedes that he’ll be able to hold the baby, however she is changing the diapers. It’s astonishing that such a little baby is going to be such a big deal to so many people.

1 Comments:

  • I know, sibling rivalry can be so annoying!! I just hope since there is such an age difference between the kids and the new baby we won't have to experience too much of that. Or it could make it worse. Who knows. :)

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 1:47 PM, June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home