Pink Sheets

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Family Reunion, Sort Of

Yesterday I met cousins I knew I had, but never met before. I saw cousins I hadn't seen in over 15 years. I talked with my Uncle Gary and just found out he and my Aunt Lisa have been divorced for years and he has a new fiance, Morgan. Both Morgan and Lisa were there. Both my brother's ex-wives came. His friends from high school were present and of course his immediate family, which not only includes his mom and dad and sisters, but also a step mom, stepsisters and their husbands. I never imagined we would be gathering under these circumstances. It's all surreal. Even now that this part is over.

It seems when someone you've known your entire life dies, that you would instantly know about it without anyone having to tell you. Regardless of how much time you spent with them recently, it seems there should be something to indicate that person is no longer with you anymore. Not necessarily a big sign, but something. Maybe you're brushing your teeth when all of a sudden you start to think "something isn't right. Something is missing." But that doesn't happen. You just brush your teeth. And then you go to work and go to the dentist and you pick up your kids and make dinner and go to bed and never have an inkling that anything is wrong. Not a clue. Not a feeling.

And then when your mom calls late in the evening to tell you that her son, your brother, has died, it hits you like a ton a bricks. It's a complete and total shock. And it totally sucks.

I wasn't sure I wanted to write anything about it, but it has consumed my life the last few days. Yesterday was the funeral. And now I'm at work. And I decided if I can write about the happy, sappy stuff I can write about the other stuff too. Because I write about everything. And this is something that has happened and it's horrible. I hope my parents are going to be okay.

4 Comments:

  • Wow. I don't know what to say other than I am so sorry for your loss. I'm really amazed that you were able to post that so soon. And yes, you would think that something wouldn't feel right, but that isn't the case for everyone. Anything more I say will just be babbling to find the right words. All I can say is how truly sorry I am for you and your family.

    K

    By Blogger Kate, at 5:52 AM, December 05, 2007  

  • oh my god. i'm so sorry. i dont know what else to say x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM, December 05, 2007  

  • I haven't seen your blog for a while bc of my non internet home lately. I'm so sorry.

    I hope your parents will be okay too.

    *hug*

    By Blogger patri, at 6:12 PM, December 05, 2007  

  • {hugs}

    By Blogger Karen, at 1:57 PM, December 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home