Pink Sheets

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Party Time

Geez! I was going through my blogroll today and yesterday and my regular reads have posted three or four posts since I last read them. And I thought I was so good at keeping current. Wrong!

I have finally started to get things together for Darby’s birthday. I have been putting it off, as is usual with me. Brian and I went shopping on Sunday and bought her a vanity for her room. When I found out I was pregnant and realized Darby was going to have to have a crib in her room, I thought we might postpone buying the vanity for a couple of years. I didn’t think she really paid any attention when I asked her if she might like one in her room instead of a TV. Apparently she was paying close attention. Riley was talking about how he and Jordan were going to have the TV in their room soon because it’s basically used to play video games, when it gets used at all. Darby responded by saying, “that’s fine. It really doesn’t matter because I am getting a desk for makeup for my birthday.” Um, okay. I guess we are getting her the vanity.

I have also finished the invitations. I’m going to send them out today, however we already made the invites in person or over the phone because the party is Saturday and it’s already Tuesday. I had Darby call my mom last night to tell her about the party. She was on the phone less than two minutes when she blurted out, “my mom is going to have a baby.” I hadn’t, at this point, told my mom I was pregnant because I’m not all that close to my mom. I rarely talk to her and not because I don’t like her or think she’s a bad mom or anything. It basically has to do with the fact that I’m antisocial when it comes to my family. I don’t know why. They drive me nuts. My mom is very, very nice, but our conversations are limited to pleasantries and small updates on the kids. We never have deep conversations about life or any of that nonsense that they show on commercials. You know the coffee commercials and tampon commercials that show the mother and daughter sitting around discussing personal details about themselves. We aren’t that way. Hence, I have not relayed the news of the pregnancy to her yet. I did plan on telling her this week, before the party, because several people who are attending the party already know. I guess I’m lucky to have Darby do it for me. It made things much easier. Regardless of my postponement in telling her she sounded very excited to be having another grandchild.

Back to Darby’s birthday. We decided we are going to do a fifties type theme where she’ll be wearing a poodle skirt and we’ll decorate the house in pink, white, black and gray. I’m hoping to have a cake made with a black poodle on top, like the one we included on her invitations. We will be serving root beer floats, which are a new favorite of Darby’s and we will be BBQing hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken. We will also be incorporating Mother’s Day into the party. It will be fun. I love parties.

6 Comments:

  • sounds great.... loving the theme

    By Blogger Lou Lou, at 12:43 PM, May 03, 2005  

  • Thanks! I had a hard time convincing her that Barbie wasn't the way to go this year. I think she still might be a little skeptical.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 12:52 PM, May 03, 2005  

  • how about 50s Barbie? :) compromise. heh.

    you sound like you kick butt when it comes to throwing parties... can you organize and decorate for my 30th in january... huh? can you? i want barbie. ;)

    NOONO! i want a JEM themed party! Outrageous!!!

    By Blogger cat, at 8:54 AM, May 04, 2005  

  • I would love to plan your party. That would be awesome. I don't know how much Jem stuff I could find though, hmm. I would have to really get imaginative to do that theme, but we could pull it off because we are that good.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 2:24 PM, May 04, 2005  

  • I wanna come! That sounds like an event NOT TO BE MISSED!
    BTW...I don't talk about deep stuff with my mom either. She would get heart palpitations..and maybe die...and I can't live with THAT GUILT! We talk about American Idol..what the boys are doing..and where we might vacation.

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 2:47 PM, May 07, 2005  

  • Yes, those sound like perfect mother/daughter conversations to me. However, I hope my daughter is more open with me than I do with my mom. I think it has to do with the mom.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:37 AM, May 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home