Pink Sheets

Saturday, July 30, 2005

You Were Meant For Me

This song, by Jewel. I hear it a lot lately. I'm always perplexed by some of the first lines of the song.

Got my eggs, got my pancakes too
Got my maple syrup, everything but you

This song is about love lost and she's sad and lonely and heartbroken over someone who obviously left her. She's depressed. This breakfast isn't for someone depressed, is it?

When I hear this song I think of a time when I felt sad, lonely, depressed and confused. I remember my breakfast consisted of two or three cups of coffee and just as many cigarettes. I think my dinners consisted of more cigarettes, but this time my drink was shots of Tequila or vodka and pepsi. I don't remember making myself an actual meal. I remember feeling paralyzed with grief and wondering why the hell this person wasn't with me.

Put on my pj's and hop into bed
I'm half alive but I feel mostly dead
I try and tell myself it'll be all right
I just shouldn't think anymore tonight

I remember this part. I don't like this song. Every time I hear it, it conjures up horribly bad memories. I'm not sure why I'm writing about it. I have felt a little depressed today. I'm not sure why. I think it's because I've been spending a lot of time alone over the past several weekends. Usually I love my alone time, but lately I'm sick of it. I would really like Brian to come home now and just hang out with me.

'Cause, I know, that you love me
And soon I know you will see
You were meant for me
And I was meant for you

Sometimes that really happens in the end. Sometimes the last memory doesn't have to be a hurtful one. That's why I'm confused as to why this song has such an affect on me.

6 Comments:

  • i love how we think so alike. :) i always hated that part about the eggs and pancakes. hee!
    when that song came out i was really depressed and it brings me down at times... but on the other hand, something about the melody makes me feel a little happy too. odd, huh?

    seems a lot of us are down lately... it must be the time of year. what do you think?

    By Blogger cat, at 3:00 PM, July 30, 2005  

  • Ya know, I've never listened to that song all that closely, but you're right. Although, I still love it. I think for me, it's the music.

    By Blogger Beth, at 3:44 PM, July 30, 2005  

  • Your right, it must be this time of year. Hot weather, nothing much to look forward to for a couple of months, well except my birthday, I know everyone looks forward to that.

    I do like the song. I actually liked most of Jewels songs until she came out with the crap they put on a razor commercial.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:09 AM, July 31, 2005  

  • Um, I realize I wrote that I didn't like the song. I'm a liar. I like the song, I just don't like it when I'm vulnerable and it makes me sad.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 7:11 AM, July 31, 2005  

  • My depression song would go like this: Got my chocolate cake...gonna eat it all up. Got my Pepsi, Doritoes, Prezles, and BBQ Chips..gonna eat those up too. I'm feeling down...but my mouth will have a party. Yeah...yeah...my mouth will have a party!

    By Blogger Envoy-ette, at 7:42 AM, July 31, 2005  

  • Your right, it must be pregnancy blues. It sure sucks though!!! Oh, I'm going to trust you on the thirty isn't so bad thing too. You better be right damn it.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 6:35 PM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home