Pink Sheets

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Too Much Time To Think

Today on my way to work I was thinking about how the commute kind of sucks. I mean, I don’t hate driving the half hour or 45 minutes to work every day, but sometimes I wish I was just at work and not sitting in this long line of cars waiting for the other cars at the Garrity exit to merge. I just sit there and think of stupid things. For instance, they (I’m not sure who they are exactly) recently put up a flashing sign requesting traffic to stay to the left because there is merging traffic ahead. Then I wonder if people read the sign and do what it says or if they’re just like, “whatever”. I always try to change lanes but it’s not always possible. When it isn’t possible I start to panic a little. Will I get in trouble if I don’t keep left? Sometimes there are state cops stopped near the exit. Will they pull you over if you aren’t in the left lane? And if they do, what kind of ticket is that? It’s all so stressful.

Today I was already in the left lane, because I knew I was coming up on the sign. I was prepared. After passing the merging traffic that causes me so much heartache I decided I don’t have it so bad. I remembered a girl I use to work with downstairs. She recently moved to Oregon (I forget which city), but she wakes up at 3:00 am to get to work between 7 and 8. She has two young daughters and found out she’s pregnant, which she’s apparently happy about. Anyway, she moved to this city in Oregon with her husband last year because he was offered a job teaching at a school there. I just don’t understand exactly why they moved. Why does she have to commute three hours a day? I would bet a year salary that she makes more than him. Plus, he only has a year contract. What if he decides not to renew it? They’re in Oregon, he has no job and she still has to commute three hours a day, but now she has a newborn. What the hell? Some people are dumb. The whole situation makes me hate a certain religion even more than I did before. I understand making sacrifices, but from what I hear she’s the only one sacrificing. Oh well, I guess if you want to live that way it’s your choice. Still, I think it’s dumb.

Maybe, I have too much time to think on my way to work. Maybe I should just stick to thinking happy things and not getting worked up over things that are obviously none of my business. Hmm, I guess that would be something to think about. I suppose I will have to wait and see what happens on the way home.

PS I also think this girl's situation has changed somewhat, in that she now works part time. I think. But, that doesn't change that it's a crappy situation.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home