Pink Sheets

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Instincts

Last week, during Toastmasters, the table topics subject was words of wisdom. The woman leading the table topics spoke of a time when someone gave her advice and she didn't take it and looking back she wished she had. This had me thinking about what advice, or words of wisdom, I would pass on to someone. Trust your instincts. I know this is completely generic, but it's seriously something that you should be thinking about at all times. When something doesn't feel right, there's a reason. Here's my example:

Brian has a class from 4-6 every Monday and one afternoon last summer he was getting ready to leave. At 3:45 we said our goodbyes and gave our customary goodbye kisses. (Customary because we never leave the house with out goodbye kisses--ever. Not because it's simply a habit.) Anyway, Brian drove off to go to his class. I was on the internet and was messing around, reading blogs and horoscopes and such. I was also getting ready to leave and go to Brian's parent's house. We were going to meet there after his class, have dinner and take care of the dogs because his parents were out of town. I remember I closed all the windows down, except for one, on the internet and left that open to a random blog I was reading. I went downstairs to pack up some things that were needed for dinner. I ran back upstairs, where I had the laptop. It was sitting on the bed. I thought it so strange that there were two windows open, one to the random blog the other on Yahoo. Hmm, I guess I left a window open. I thought I had closed all but the one. Suspicious? Why would it be? I'm here by myself. I turned to the closet where I noticed someone standing and then suddenly lunging towards me. In this split second I thought to myself, "I'm going to die because I didn't trust myself about closing the windows." Well, luckily it was only Brian. His class was cancelled and he thought it would be funny to scare the crap out of me.

I know it sounds like a long thought to be thinking in the split second from the time Brian lunged and the moment I knew it was him, but that's what I was thinking. That this could have all been avoided had I walked in the room, noticed something was not right, turned around and walked out the door. From now on I'm going to listen to the little voice that tells me to leave now. Trust your instincts.

I have another word of wisdom for you: never do anything half assed. It will come back to haunt you.

2 Comments:

  • Gee, we must share the same brain sometimes. I agree 100% about instincts. Has I not gone with my gut feelings a lot of time I would have regreted a whole lot more in life. And I'd never have ended up with the man I am about to marry. I keep meaning to write a post about that topic but never find the time to. Plus now that I can't seem to post my posts, why bother? Heh.

    And you totally scared the crap out of me when I read someone lunged at you. GAH! I should have guessed it would be Brian, but GAH! I gasoed in air and held it until I got to that part. Don't do that to me! :)

    By Blogger cat, at 6:28 PM, October 14, 2004  

  • It is upseting that you haven't been able to post properly. What a pain in the rear.

    And sorry to have scared you, but really, imagine what I felt like. I thought I was going to die. I too should have known it was Brian, he does these things to me all the time. I have never learned.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 6:38 PM, October 14, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home